It’s been a long time since my last post about the Lion hat. I realized I hadn’t made any progress on it, so today I tried to work on it. My initial idea was to papier mache the bulk of the lion’s face. Now, I haven’t papier mache’d since I was in the third grade, so I couldn’t exactly remember how to do it. I went on the internet (our trusty companion!) and tried to figure out what I was supposed to do.
Now, I live in a college townhouse with three other girls, so I knew I would have trouble just leaving my craft supplies out, but the kitchen table was the only space big enough. There was no way I was going to clear my extremely full desk. So I gathered my supplies together.
I actually had to get a stick from outside to stir the glue, because I didn’t have any popsicle sticks or anything else that I thought would work. I remembered from years ago that it helped when papier mache’ing to make a frame that I could lay the wet strips of paper on. I had pipe cleaners.
Now, this was a bit of a struggle, and I was wishing I had a friend to help me. Regardless, I started trying to lay the paper onto the frame. It was very awkward going and after a lot of struggling, I got this…
It was wet and misshapen. I didn’t know how to go from what I had to a full-scale lion head. This made me very sad. I tried to blow the shape dry with my hair dryer, but it was a bit like trying to dry my actual hair in the middle of winter outside in a snow bank. It just wasn’t going to happen. I got very frustrated very fast (as is my way) and threw the monstrosity away. I’ll be turning to freeform crochet, which will actually probably work better, but will definitely be heavier and not have the texture I was initially looking for. Oh well, on to the next try.